Painted by Edda Cascapera
This Crucifix has an interesting history.
Bishop John J. Dunn presided at the 1923 Graduation Exercises. After the exercises the Bishop and the sisters processed to the cemetery site where a most beautiful, life-sized, metal crucifix, the gift of Bishop Dunn, was erected and blessed. Until 1978, the day the bodies in the cemetery were moved to Columbus, this crucifix stood at the entrance of the small burial plot.
At St. Augustine's original location it was also overlooking the river as "a beacon of hope." When we moved it was in poor condition and according to the rules that pertain to blessed objects it was buried in the back of the rectory.
When Monsignor Franco arrived, he organized an army of volunteers to clean up the Parish grounds and Parish Hall. It was during this project that the Crucifix was rediscovered by two young people. The volunteers cleaned it thoroughly. Monsignor and Father Hilfiker (RIP) decided the best spot to place it was in the area overlooking the river.
People seeing it from the train or from boats call the Parish Office to relate how they were touched by the sight.
There are two plaques on the Cross:
In Gratitude to the
Spagnoli Family at
M.S. Ironworks with a
special mention to Maestro
Marino Spagnoli for his
masterful work of this beautiful
Cross. April 4, 2009 Palm Sunday.
In Loving Memory
of Frank La Salla
The Crucifix Overlooking the River continues to be a "beacon of hope" to all who see it.